From the website Writing Tips Oasis
The heroine clichés
The heroine clichés are often worse than the hero’s clichés, because they almost always show the woman as having a passive role in the plot, rather than an active one. She can be among the following:
- An ugly duckling until she cleans up.
- Socially awkward, has one friend.
- Has many family members to take care of.
- Is in dire financial straits.
- Is probably quite short or extremely, awkwardly tall.
- Is insecure about herself and lacks self-confidence despite being excellent at what she does.
- Her job is usually low key: maybe she is a writer, an artist, a painter, a waitress, or she might hold a job at the hero’s company.
My heroine goes against every one of these cliche heroine ideas. Ella Henry is an It Girl, a young writer who inherited wealth, has loads of friends, and is a bit of a hot mess! Everything I wish I was at 25, I guess! Although Ella is a bit of a Libertine something I could never be. What would mum say??
My hero is a probably a few of the above but he’s a returned soldier so he’s got some good reasons to be struggling with fitting back into life. The there’s my other hero
Learn to pronounce
A person who freely indulges in sensual pleasures without regard to moral principles.
“his image as an unbridled libertine is a total myth”
playboy, rake, roué, seducer, adulterer, debauchee, sensualist, voluptuary, hedonist, profligate, wanton, reprobate, degenerate
1. characterized by free indulgence in sensual pleasures.
“his more libertine impulses”
licentious, lustful, libidinous, lecherous, lascivious, lubricious, dissolute, dissipated, debauched, immoral, wanton, shameless, degenerate, depraved, debased, profligate, promiscuous, unchaste, lewd, prurient, salacious…
Yeah yeah yeah, we get it…. Oh but wait….these are my favourites!
loose, fast, goatish, randy, horny, raunchy, concupiscent, lickerish…??
Lickerish? Really? I’m surprised I didn’t find this one in The Bride Stripped Bare. Oh how I would have loved that book in year 10 when I couldn’t get enough of books that my parents wouldn’t have approved of if they’d known what I was reading!
Oh and here’s the opposite of Libertine…
In twelve minutes Furious Fiction starts… I am almost at my word count for the first day of Nanowrimo. I’ve been at work all day (ugh) and can’t wait to get home and write!